We're here to help!
The Career Development Office is located in 306A on the 3rd Floor of Robson Hall.
The Career Development Office is dedicated to alerting students to upcoming national events, and to providing job postings for articling, summer and clerkship positions. In addition, we maintain postings for international and volunteer opportunities.
Through our Career Development Office, we offer workshops, seminars and individualized consultations where students can discuss their career goals and obtain guidance on how to achieve them. We provide one-on-one resume and cover letter review, as well as offer mock interviews. In addition, we have held Practice Interview Night, and networking events which allows students to connect in with local firms as well as various government agencies in a casual setting.
As an additional service for students interested in pursuing careers outside Manitoba, we host on-campus interviews for out-of-province firms.
CURRENT NEWS FOR EMPLOYERS AND STUDENTS
Please note: Our Job Board is password protected for students currently registered at the University of Manitoba/Faculty of Law
Upcoming 2L Summer 2022 Timelines:
- September 17th, 2021 at noon: Student Application deadline
- Septmeber 27th - October 5th, 2021: Interview week
- October 6th, 2021 - beginning at 9:00am : Offer day
(The following dates reflect timeline for UofM/Faculty of Law Students)
- August 16, 2021: Student Application deadline
- Septmeber 21, 2021 10:00am - 6: 40pm EST interview day
- November 3rd, 2021 @ 10:00 am – 6:40 pm EST: Offer day
- August 27th, 2021, UofM Students Application Deadline
- September 17th, 2021 : Interview Day
- Oct 15, 2021 at 2:00pm MT: Offer Day
- September 1, 2021: Application Deadline
- October 25, 2021 to Wednesday, October 27, 2021: In - Firm Interview Week
- October 28, 2021: Offer Day
Career Development Coordinator
Lisa Griffin’s background includes working at Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax NS in Student Services, supporting and assisting students in Accessibility Services and Career/Counselling Services. Lisa moved to Winnipeg in 2013 and began working at the University Of Manitoba supporting and assisting students in the Counselling and Career Centre. In 2014, Lisa began working at Robson Hall/Faculty of Law in the Career Development Office.
Lisa is a graduate of Dalhousie University and has always been passionate about working with students and providing the ultimate student experience.
WHAT ROBSON HALL CAN DO FOR YOU
Free job-posting service
The Career Development Office invites your firm to use our free job posting service to advertise student position(s) for summering, articling, clerking, internships, research or similar types of legal employment. We are also happy to advertise associate or other law-related positions to our alumni at no cost.
Let us know about your opportunity
You may supply us with a posting containing the relevant information about the position in a document and send to us via email or fax us at (204) 474-7580.
What to include in a job posting
Brief descriptions of:
- the job, duties and responsibilities; the number of positions available (if more than one)
- the employer, practice areas, size of firm/type of organization
- the firm, details about your firm, i.e. culture, support services, amenities, notable cases/members (or links to where that information can be found on your website)
- the skills, qualities, and year of study you are looking for in a student (e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd year or graduate)
- where to send, to whom, and how (mail, email or fax)
- what to include (cover letter, resume, transcripts (official or copy), references, writing sample)
- the deadline for applications
- benefits (e.g. Friday’s off for CPLED training or fees paid for the CPLED program, or Law Society practicing fees paid, group insurance benefits, health, dental)
Please note that information about your firm and a description of the articling program (if applicable) will be of great interest to students considering whether or not to apply.
Our Process for Advertising Your Opportunity
Job postings are made available to our students and alumni through the following means:
- Online, through the Robson Hall Career Development Office website
- Via email to all students in the law school
- General announcement at the commencement of Career Services Workshops
- On our weekly Enews
*Please note our students no longer have individual mail boxes.
Brochures and Other Information
If you wish to make information about your organization available, you could provide us with an information piece(s) or brochure(s) on your firm or organization and we will make it available to students through our Career Services Office.
The Career Development Office works with organizations to host a number of events throughout the year to provide students and organizations with opportunities to meet each other. Your firm can participate in the events of your choice. Typical events include:
On-Campus Interviews – An On-Campus Interview Reception will be held annually to allow employers from other provinces to get to know Robson Hall students in a relaxed atmosphere. On-Campus interviews will be held annually.
Firm Tours – Tours have been held in Vancouver and Toronto. Contact the Career Development Office if you would like to facilitate Robson Hall at your firm.
Career Workshops – participate as a guest speaker or panelist. You may also facilitate a networking event of your choice (e.g. Wine and Cheese, or Dinner). Contact the Career Development Office if you would like additional information on any of the above events.
Promotion Across Canada
Other Law Schools
Each Canadian law school has a “Career Development Office”, and each of those offices work collaboratively to ensure Canadian law students have access to job information from other jurisdictions. In that regard, a Career Development Office in another province will often promote jobs from other jurisdictions to their student body upon request. There are students at law schools outside of Manitoba who wish to come back to Manitoba for work. Accordingly, if you would like your posting to also reach those out-of-province students, our Career Development Office will distribute your opportunity to other law schools on your behalf.
NALP Canada Directory
NALP Canada is an organization that is dedicated to facilitating the professional development of law students and lawyers in Canada, and that works with Canadian law schools across Canada. It has developed a Canadian Directory of Legal Employers (CDLE), which a user-friendly, online searchable directory of Canadian legal employers with summer student, articling and associate positions. You can learn more about the directory by visiting www.nalpcanada.com. The NALP Canadian Directory of Legal Employers (CDLE), offers an efficient, cost-effective way to tell your organization’s story to law students, lawyers and law schools. The CDLE is freely available to students and job seekers online at www.nalpcanada.com – note for firms 10 lawyers or less, there is no cost to register.
The Career Development Office offers workshops between September and April each year with our main focus being your success in obtaining your career goals!
We put on workshops that are important to job success. Our advice is that you should attend ALL Workshops.
* PLEASE SEE THE EVENTs CALENDAR FOR MORE INFORMATION AND DETAILS ON UPCOMING WORKSHOPS AND EVENTS.*